We are looking for a dynamic, customer orientated Branch manager for our Timber branch in Lancing. Applicants should have experience of working in a Builders merchant setting, with some experience of people management
Who are we?
Gardner & Scardifield is a local family owned Builders Merchants, Electrical Wholesalers and DIY Suppliers based in Lancing, but operating throughout Sussex. We have a long and fascinating history of circa 100 years, and have been under current ownership since the 1970’s.
We have strong family values and provide an environment where our colleagues are valued, respected and have the opportunity to progress. We pride ourselves in serving local customers, supporting local suppliers and being an active member of our local community.
Over the last 15 years we have seen considerable expansion, and are ambitious to continue our growth strategy as we strive to be better tomorrow than today by innovating and adapting both our goods and services.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Maximising and growing sales by showcasing product knowledge of both Timber and Building Materials generally and building strong relationships with customers
- Lead and coach the branch team to ensure the branch is delivering excellent customer service, ensuring the highest standards are kept.
- Merchandising the branch’s stock, bringing in new ideas and new ranges where necessary
- Ensure a high standard of health and safety and housekeeping is kept up in the branch, to ensure the branch is both staff and customer friendly and safe
- Make commercial decisions for the branch, making sure it is working to benefit Gardner and Scardifield as a whole and looking for new ways to drive growth. This also includes managing purchasing and stock control.
- Work closely with other branches to ensure Gardner and Scardifield can provide a complete service to all customers
Qualifications and Skills
- Previous experience of supervision or managing of people
- Previous experience working in a Builders merchant or DIY retail environment
- Timber background, knowledge and interest
- Capacity to lift 20-25 Kg
- Positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to support and work with your colleagues
- Excellent sales and customer service skills
- Great communication and people skills
What do we offer you?
- Competitive Salary
- 29 days annual leave (inc. public holidays)
- 45 hours per week standard working week
- Standard Life Pension Scheme
- Branch locations throughout Sussex
- Staff discount